HTC on Thursday announced the new Desire 820 smartphone, which is the first smartphone from the company to be powered by the octa-core 64-bit Snapdragon 615 processor. The software present in the smartphone right now does not utilize the 64-bit capabilities of the processor but that will change with Android L, which brings OS-level support for 64-bit CPUs.
According to HTC, the new smartphone is meant to be a successor to previously launched Desire 816 and includes the necessary upgrades to make it so.
Part of the HTC’s Desire 8-series, Desire 820 features a 5.5-inch 720p HD display, 13MP rear camera, 8MP front shooter, 2GB of RAM and 16GB of internal storage. The phone also packs BoomSound front speakers, a polycarbonate body, microSD card slot, LTE support and 2600 mAh battery like its predecessor. The usual connectivity options are also present in the phone and the company plans to release a dual-SIM variant in some markets.
“Our new HTC Desire model gives entertainment lovers exactly what they are looking for; a powerful, fast, stylish smartphone that delivers their favourite content on a big screen at a competitive price. With the HTC Desire 820, we’ve combined the most advanced technology with the best possible entertainment experience and bold, distinctive design to deliver a handset that is both desirable and affordable,” said Peter Chou, HTC Corporation.
Availability & Colours
HTC has revealed that Desire 820 will reach markets worldwide around end of September. There is no word on the pricing, which like all HTC devices will vary market to market. The phone will be released in nine colour options – Marble White (glossy), Tuxedo Grey (matte), Santorini White (glossy), Milky-way Grey (glossy), Tangerine White (glossy), Saffron Grey (glossy), Flamingo Grey (glossy), Blue Mist (glossy), and Monarch Orange (glossy).
HTC Desire 820 specifications
- Size: 157.7 x 78.74 x 7.74 mm, 155 grams
- Display: 5.5 inch, 720p HD
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 615, 1.5 GHz, Octa-Core CPU
- OS: Android 4.4 with HTC Sense
- Memory: 16GB of internal storage, 2GB of RAM, microSD card slot
- Connectivity: LTE, 3G, dual-SIM (select markets), Bluetooth 4.0, Wi-Fi a/b/g/n, DLNA
- Sound: Dual frontal stereo speakers with built-in amplifiers, BoomSound, Sense Voice
- Cameras: 13MP rear with BSI sensor, f/2.2, 28mm lens & 1080p video recording as well as 8MP front with BSI sensor & 1080p video recording
- Location: GPS, GLONASS
- Battery: 2600 mAh