Almost four months after launching Yahoo News Digest on iOS, the Internet giant has released an Android version of the app in Google Play today. Available for free, the app offers consumers with top news items to read two times every day (morning and evening), which have been curated by Yahoo editors and summarised by the company’s algorithm.
With today’s Android app introduction, Yahoo is also expanding the numbers of available news editions, which will help more users get news stories that actually matter to them. The new editions – International and Canada – join the existing United States and United Kingdom editions.
While the app works pretty well for US, UK and Canadian users, the same can’t be said for users from other countries as international news items are not always relevant to everyone especially a normal user, who has little interest in international happenings and just wants local news stories.
Here is quick look at the Yahoo News Digest features
- Summary of all the important, need-to-know news
- Each news stories is created from multiple sources to present the essential bits and pieces of information
- News stories include key quotes, images, videos, maps, infographs, and Wikipedia excerpts
- Available in English right but translated versions are coming soon
- Home-screen widget for quick access to news items
- Notification support for fresh news digests
- Lean and simple user-interface with social sharing support