Jio Wi-Fi calling or Jio VoWiFi was launched earlier this year by the telecom operator and it is now available across India on all supported smartphones. As long as your phone supports Wi-Fi calling or VoWiFi, you can use Wi-Fi calling on Reliance Jio anywhere in India, both in home network and on roaming. Also, the service is free of charge, so you don’t have to pay anything extra apart from the normal call or SMS charges to use it.
What is Wi-Fi calling or VoWiFi
As Wi-Fi calling aka VoWiFi or Voice over Wi-Fi came to India just six months ago, not everyone is aware of it. If you are wondering what exactly is Wi-Fi calling, in simple words, it is a way to use your normal telecom services likes voice calls, SMS messages, and video calls (not app based) over a Wi-Fi network. Some of the benefits of Wi-Fi calling are better indoor coverage and ability to make calls with mobile signal. It is particularly useful in areas with poor cellular network connectivity, which is case at many places in India.
GSMA or GSM Association describes it as “a complementary technology to VoLTE”. “Where possible, VoLTE calls may be seamlessly handed over between LTE and Wi-Fi and vice versa. Conversational video is also possible via Wi-Fi,” GSMA writes. It is useful for both telecom operators and consumers. VoWiFi was first commercially deployment in 2014 in the United States in 2014.
When did Jio launch VoWiFi or Wi-Fi calling?
As mentioned, Jio introduced Wi-Fi calling in India in January 2020. The service was in testing for a few months before that, and on January 16, 2020, Jio started rolling it out across India for regular consumers in phases. It has been available across the country for some time now.
How many devices support Jio Wi-Fi calling, can I use Jio VoWiFi on my phone?
At launch, Reliance Jio started with support for just 150 phones; however, the number has since increased many folds. Pretty much all major smartphone makers, including Xiaomi, Realme, Samsung, Asus, LG, and Google have added support for Jio VoWiFi on their phones over the last few months. If you are not clear whether your Android phone or iPhone supports Wi-Fi calling or Jio Wi-Fi calling, you can reach out to the manufacturer to confirm. If your phone was launched in the last two-three years, chances are that it supports Jio Wi-Fi calling.
Which Wi-Fi networks Jio VoWiFi work on? Do I need Wi-Fi from Jio Fiber?
Fortunately, Jio Wi-Fi calling can work with any Wi-Fi network from any Internet service provider. You don’t need to use Jio Fiber to use Wi-Fi calling on Jio. To make sure, Wi-Fi calling works without issues on your Wi-Fi network, use the ISP’s DNS settings. If you don’t know what that means, you are most likely already using your ISP’s DNS. Cloudflare or Google’s public DNS reportedly interfere with Wi-Fi calling.
How to use Jio Wi-Fi calling on Xiaomi, Samsung, Realme, other Android phones?
- To enable Jio VoWiFi on your Android phone, you need to go to Settings on your phone.
- In Settings, go to Connections and look for Wi-Fi calling option, it may be listed as VoWiFi.
- Once you find Wi-Fi calling or VoWiFi option, enable it.
- You can also search for Wi-Fi calling using search option in Settings.
- Some phones, including Xiaomi’s, list Wi-Fi calling under SIM and Network settings.
- If you are still unable to find Wi-Fi calling option on your phone, do a Google search for settings or call your manufacturer.
- Once Wi-Fi calling is enabled, you will see VoWiFi or Jio WiFi next to mobile signal antennae in status bar.
How to use Jio Wi-Fi calling on iPhone?
- To enable Jio Wi-Fi calling on any Apple iPhone model, go to Settings.
- In Settings, look for Phone option.
- Tap on Phone and look for Wi-Fi calling.
- If Wi-Fi calling is off, switch it on.
- iPhone will ask for a confirmation, tap on Enable.
- Once Wi-Fi calling is switched on, you will see Jio WiFi in the status bar to confirm that it is working for you.