Sony Japan has revealed that the Android 8.0 Oreo update for Xperia XZ Premium smartphone will be released starting December. The update will bring a number of software features that were introduced in the Xperia XZ1 smartphone like the 3D creator.
While the Sony Japan’s statement is only valid for the Oreo update roll-out in Japan, the update will probably arrive around the same time in other markets too.
Update (October 23): Way ahead of the Japanese release, Sony has started rolling out the Android 8.0 Oreo update for Xperia XZ Premium in the international markets. The update is now live over-the-air.
In related news, Sony Japan has launched a red colour variant of the Xperia XZ Premium phone. The new colour will go on sale beginning October 27 in Japan. There is no word on the release in other markets at this point.
Also read – Android 8.0 Oreo: When will my phone get it?
To remind you, Sony Xperia XZ Premium was originally unveiled in February this year and comes with features like 5.5-inch 4K HDR display, Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor and 4GB of RAM. The phone also packs 64GB of internal storage, 19MP rear camera, and 13MP selfie camera.
Sony Xperia XZ Premium full specifications
- 2.5GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 octa-core processor with Adreno 540 GPU
- 4GB of RAM, 64GB of internal storage and microSD card with support upto 256GB
- 3230 mAh non-removable battery with Smart Stamina mode, Qualcomm Quick Charging 3.0 support
- IP65/ 68 water resistant
- 5.5-inch 4K HDR screen with Gorilla Glass 5
- 19MP rear camera with 25mm f2.0 lens and LED flash as well as 13MP 22mm wide-angle f2.0 lens
- 4G, Wifi, NFC, Bluetooth 5.0, GPS
- Fingerprint sensor, USB Type-C USB 3.0
- Dimensions: 156mm x 77mm x 7.9 mm; Weight: 191 grams