To mark the announcement of Android 5.0 Lollipop, Google has set-up a statue at building 44 lawn in its headquarters in Mountain View.
The tradition to erect statues for the new Android version goes back to Android 1.5 Cupcake, which was the first version of Android to reach the consumers. Google has since established statues for Donut, Éclair, Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, KitKat.
As you can see in the image above, Android 5.0 statue is a pretty literal representation of Android Lollipop (Bugdroid with pinwheel lollipop & a peace sign) and it would have been nice if Google had gone a little more creative.
Here is a look at the history of Android versions:
- Android 1.5: April 2009
- Android 1.6: September 2009
- Android 2.0/ 2.1: October 2009/ January 2010
- Android 2.2: May 2010
- Android 2.3: December 2010
- Android 3.0: February 2011
- Android 4.0: October 2011
- Android 4.1/ 4.2/ 4.3: June 2012/ October 2012/ July 2013
- Android 4.4: September 2013
- Android 5.0: October 2014