Nexus S getting Ice Cream Sandwich update now; how to update manually
Google has started rolling out Android 4.0 update for GSM Nexus S owners, this OTA roll-out will continue like this over the coming month. So, don’t worry if you don’t get the update right away.
There is no confirmation about the regional availability of the update, we are checking it out right now and will update the post accordingly. Android 4.0 brings a whole new UI, Android Beam, People App, Performance Improvements, Face Unlock and a lot of other new features.
We’re rolling out Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich, to GSM/UMTS Nexus S devices over the coming month, starting today: goo.gl/6HRcJ
— Google Nexus (@googlenexus) December 16, 2011
If you cannot wait for the OTA, you can use the following instructions to apply the update manually (works on GT-I9020T and GT-I9023).
- Download the Update from here
- Rename the downloaded file to update.zip
- Copy update.zip to the root of your internal storage
- Switch off your Nexus S
- Hold Volume Up and Power to reboot into the bootloader
- Select “Recovery,” then press power button
- Once the triangle appears, press power button and volume up at the same time to enter recovery
- Select “Apply update from /sdcard”.
- Once the process is finished, reboot your phone and you are good to go.