MIUI 9 is now available for all eligible phones
Over three months after officially launching the MIUI 9 Global version alongside the Redmi Y1 in India, Xiaomi has announced that the new operating system is now officially rolling out to all eligible devices.
“As promised, #MIUI9 is now available for all devices! @XiaomiIndia is committed to bringing the best and the latest OS to all our Mi Fans. That’s why we’re even updating the phones that were launched almost 4 years ago – Mi 3 and Redmi 1S,” wrote Manu Kumar Jain, Global VP & MD-India, Xiaomi, in a tweet.
If you own any of the following smartphones, and you haven’t already updated to MIUI 9, you can now head over the updater app in your phone and complete the process. If you don’t want to use the updater app, you can also manually download the new ROM from this link.
- Redmi 2, Redmi 2 Prime, Redmi 4A, Redmi Note Prime, Mi 4i, Redmi 3S, Redmi 3S Prime, Redmi Note 4G, Redmi 1S, Redmi Note 3, Mi 3, Mi 4, Mi Max, Mi Max Prime, Redmi Y1, Redmi Y1 Lite, Redmi 4, Mi 5, Mi Mix 2, Mi Max 2, and Redmi Note 4
MIUI 9 is based on Android 7.1 Nougat for most of the above phones, but some devices are getting Marshmallow-based MIUI 9.
Here is a quick look at the key features of MIUI 9 as well as some India-specific tweaks present in the new version:
- Mi Drop app: To transfer of files between devices over Wi-Fi
- Three major style notifications: Multiple Styles, Bundling Notifications & Quick Replies
- Split screen support to run 2 apps simultaneously
- Remove unwanted objects from your photo with new magical Smart Photo Editing tool
- New Mi Video App
- New IRCTC Card in SMS app to show the IRCTC SMS in a readable manner
- Indian Calendar app comes with subscription cards like Indian festivals cards, panchang calendar and much more.
- New India-specific theme
- New stickers in Gallery app
- New app vault features
- Bunch of system optimisations including new file system, cache management, Wi-Fi speed boost and more