Sony starts rolling out Android 4.4 for Xperia Z, ZL, ZR and Tablet Z
The next wave of Sony Android updates is here. The company has announced that it has started rolling out Android 4.4.2 KitKat update for Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR and Xperia Tablet Z devices in select markets. Other countries will get it over the coming weeks.
The company has also revealed that full change-log of this update, which includes the usual KitKat goodies like UI improvements, performance enhancements, immersive mode, upgraded downloads app etc., as well as Sony-specific improvements updated Sony app portfolio, improved Sony Media apps, Xperia Themes, and support for SmartBand SWR10 and Lifelog app.
Here is the detailed change-log:
1. Google’s Android 4.4; KitKat as standard
2. New user interface: Revamped Status Bar and Quick Settings, new launch animation and live wallpaper
3. Latest versions of Sony’s entire native app portfolio:
- Messaging: a few UI adjustments including a slicker “send” animation, and deeper Emoji support for some expressive fun
- Email: You’ll be able to both load and see more mails, more responsive viewing pane, split screen modes divide info for easy digest
- Smart Social Camera: A selection of Xperia Camera apps directly accessible from your viewfinder
- Battery STAMINA Mode: Improved power management feature, bringing smarter data management & more for prolonging your battery juice
4. Sony’s Media apps: WALKMAN, Album and Movies, with Sony Entertainment Network cloud service integration- Amore converged and full Sony entertainment experience – Sony Entertainment Network & PlayMemories integration with a more intuitive UI, better download speeds, and more…
5. Xperia Themes: Downloadable UI packs from Sony Select, skin up to 280 assets across your Xperia smartphone with a variety of styles
6. Compatibility with SmartBand SWR10 and Lifelog app
Sony has also announced that it will start rolling out Android 4.4 KitKat for Xperia T2 Ultra, Xperia E1 and Xperia M2 (and dual variants) from July.