Instagram finally sheds iOS exclusivity; now available for Android on Google Play
Sorry we are a little bit late in reporting this, as the news has already made a tremendous stir across the entire Internet, but just in case you may have missed it, Instagram is now available for Android and can be downloaded for free from Google Play. Instagram, an extremely popular photo editing and sharing service, has been available for some time now on iOS and has been at the center of numerous discussions about whether we would ever actually see the application ported to Android. Now, we no longer have to speculate. It has arrived — and brought a whole ton of awesomeness along with it.
Not familiar with Instagram? Don’t feel bad — I had never used the service myself either until today. In my opinion, there are already a plethora of options available that accomplish the same tasks as Instagram, so I’ve never been all that enthused; however, I am just one person in a sea of many and the majority of the crowd can’t seem to get enough of it. Have a look below at the app features, pulled from Google Play:
- 100% free custom designed filters and borders
- Lux works its magic by making your photos more vibrant and brings out details in your photos you couldn’t see before
- Instant sharing to Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and Foursquare (Flickr coming very soon)
- Interact with friends through giving & receiving likes and comments
- Works with Android versions 2.2 and above that support OpenGL ES 2
- Full front & back camera support
The app was released earlier today (in the US, yesterday now in India) and was immediately scrutinized by a small group of users who ran into the dreaded, “This application is incompatible with your device,” error. Fortunately, Instagram was quick to the punch and has already pushed out an update to the app that hopefully clears this issue up for most.
The current version of Instagram is now 1.0.1 and is 13MB in size. If you’d like to try it out for yourself, be sure to hit up the link below to head over to Google Play.