GSM Samsung Nexus S receiving Android 4.0.4 OTA, download now if you hate waiting
If you own a GSM Samsung Nexus S, you might want to pop over to your system settings to check for an awaiting system update, assuming you are not already rooted and running a custom ROM on your device. The OTA that is making its way out to the device is labeled IMM76D and contains Android 4.0.4.
Additionally, Android Central has shared an alternative method of getting the update if you are on a stock Android 4.0.3 Nexus S. Check out the details below:
- Grab the OTA package here
- Rename it to update.zip. This isn’t needed for the Nexus S bootloader, but it makes things easy, if that’s how you prefer them.
- Copy it over to the internal storage on your Nexus S.
- Power off, then hold volume up and power to reboot to the bootloader.
- Using the volume key to navigate, select recovery, then use the power button to confirm
- When you see the warning triangle and arrow, hold the power button and tap volume up. You’ll see a menu.
- From the menu, select “apply update from /sdcard”, and choose update.zip from the list.
- Let it do its thing and update your system, radio, and other partitions. When finished, choose “reboot system now”
If you’re device is rooted, you can still pick up a zip file from XDA, which can be flashed using ClockworkMOD Recovery; however, your device must be running Android 4.0.3. to apply the update, as it is not a full OS update. Please keep in mind, this is for the GSM version of the device only.