Amazon to launch Android Tablet, App Store?
After tablet wars, the app wars seem to happen next. According to the latest bits of rumour in the blogging world, Amazon might be getting ready to launch an Android App market/store. Considering operators like Verizon are already in fray to launch Android app store, and we have several third party stores, it wont hurt Amazon to start a new one.
But that is not all, the app store might coming with an Android tablet – Amazon’s Android tablet. These all bits are still in rumours category but considering the tablet and application arena these days, they look very much real.
Here are a few features of Amazon Android App store, as reported by Techcrunch:
* For each sale of an App, we will pay you a royalty equal to the greater of 70% of the purchase price or 20% of the List Price as of the purchase date (70/30 is standard, this 20/80 split is somewhat odd and confusing)
* The List Price is apparently in place so that you can’t sell your app cheaper on other “similar services” — meaning other app stores, presumably
* The “similar services” should also include the forthcoming Chrome Web Store, if I’m reading this correctly
* There is a $99 fee to be a developer in this program (the same as Apple’s iOS developer program)
* It seems like if your app is available on other platforms, you have to make sure to update it at the same time on Amazon’s store that you do in any other store (this will piss off a lot of developers)
* Apps will have to be laced with Amazon DRM — meaning they will only work on devices they approve (obviously)
* Amazon has the right to pull any app for any reason (obviously)
* Apps can also be shown on amazon.com (this is up to Amazon)
* You can offer free apps
* The app store is U.S.-only (at least for now)
* This part is interesting too: “We have sole discretion to determine all features and operations of this program and to set the retail price and other terms on which we sell Apps.”
There is nothing known right now about the alleged tablet, but we expect to hear more soon.